Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!!

+15
jazzman
hangleng
finylvinyl
Wan Azami Hamzah
KFM
igmcheah
fizi
car o scope
mugenfoo
alex
RobA4
ryder
cmboy
WongKN
adrian4454
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!!

Post by adrian4454 Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi cmboy...dont scare me leh..
Anyway, thanks for the piece of advise... will be careful.

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Vinyl/LP/Phono/Turntable Accessories Help!!

Post by mugenfoo Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 pm

igmcheah wrote:Hi mugenfoo, bought the ca evo from audio image, the other from a friend.

Come to think of it, why not enlist the help of Audio Image ?

We could have a real blast doing alignment with the tools i have ... but i think i'd need u to sign some form of INDEMNITY FORM .... lest something awry goes wrong.

I ain't going to be for even a split nano second pretend that I'm a pro at this and tonearm/cartridge alignment is really risky business Razz

I'd do it for my own TTs so if i fukkup, i got no one to blame but myself.

But for other people's TT (especially such expensive Clearaudios with high end tonearms and carts.... errrr) ... Neutral

Audio Image after all, is the authorised Clearaudio DEALER in town and they'd know their product best .... right? hehehehe....

Unless u got an "issue" bringing the CA Solution to Audio Image to have a tune-up for whatever reasons (i'm not bothered to know) ? What a Face
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by KFM Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:42 pm

Can you tell me the address of Audio Image or its whereabouts?

Thanks

KFM

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Audio Image

7, jln 19/29
46300 PJ

tel: 03-79563077

Mon-Sat 1pm to 7pm.

Always call before going.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Got lotsa stuffs there, man.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:59 am

... like? Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:18 am

Cool... got an Address for Wisma Audio?

Would love to pay them a visit whenever (if-ever) i come by Penang. Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Wooo!.. Wisma Audio...all high end stuff. I remember they exhibited a full Holfi rig run on battery at one KLAV show. I think there was a J.C. Verdier turntable too. Exotic stuff and for those with a very thick wallet or unlimited charge card.
Of course there's another seller here from Penang, all mega buck hifi components. You game for it all or just see, see, hear, hear only....no play play..pray pray maybe?
Penang not very far mar..4-5hours by car heh? I assume your car outfitted with lots of mugen upgrades..so should be there in a jiffy..
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Interesting..
OK.. Will go to visit Wisma Audio (are they located at Island Plaza?) and also take opportunity to visit HiFi Choice at One Stop.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:55 pm

OK, Island Plaza. Sodesne.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by KFM Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:51 pm

mugenfoo wrote:Audio Image

7, jln 19/29
46300 PJ

tel: 03-79563077

Mon-Sat 1pm to 7pm.

Always call before going.

Cheers for the info.

KFM

KFM

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:21 am

Playing vinyl, well this has got to be the only hands-on, tweakable black art of hi fi is it not? So whats all the fuss about guys?

I'm turning 55 next year and have gathered a considerable collection of humble analogue gear since the early 80s at most ordinary man's (more so woman's) amusement, that's before they listen to any of them of course. Then the enter a different world of music heaven way beyond CDs, and downloaded music played on car stereos, Ipods and mini compos.

I grew up listening to my dad's hi fi. Vinyl of course back then, played on Garrad turntable. Sansui amp and homemade kit speakers from Goodmans. I helped him out building the cabinets, real hardwood. We were both meticulous with the construction, following the instructions closely. We hardwired everything then, not that we knew there would be sonic advantages but we fear the tags might drop off inside in use. Dad used the thickest cable for the speakers too. Guess we got a few things unknowingly right there. He listened to Western music and the records were imported ones, Decca, Polydor, Hmvs etc. Music included mono Paul Anka, Johnny Tillotson, The Platters and then came stereo with the pop orchestra craze- Paul Mauriat, Manuel etc. Back then I have always been intrigued at how the turntable works. And I still do today.

Then when I studied in England I saved a lot of scholarship money on hi fi and started my own system in my cheap bedsit ending eventually after a few upgrading stages with a Linn LP12 (learning how to tune the deck, isolation and set up the arm and cartridge from magazine write ups and tips), an Ortofon MC10 cartridge, Crimson pre/power and a pair of Dean Alto speakers all of which including two boxes of vinyl were brought back to Malaysia in 1984 upon graduation.

Today I still use the Linn (undergoing repairs for the moment), and I also have a 1st generation Rega 3 with the curved tonearm, a Systemdek 2X900 with an RB300 arm, and a Project Perspective. All these other turntables given free by friends who had given up in record playing. The thing is I find it impossible to replace analogue sound. Maybe that's because my ears so tuned to vinyl or maybe my soul is old school. Maybe there is truth in the musical sincerity about simple analogue signal compared to complicated digital. Maybe it's the tangible, hands-on in the way we handle both the software and the hardware components and the difference it makes with upgrading the allied components and physical fine tunings and getting satisfaction thereafter. Or maybe it's plain nostalgic.

But to me and honestly, besides the minor occasional clicks and pops in between tracks vinyl holds the plain unvarnished truth about music. CDs of the same albums I have on vinyl of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Grover Washington, Earl Klugh etc which I have bought during my student days sound so so lifeless in comparison (I do listen to CD a lot too and thank God to the advances of digital technology in both software and hardware they sound very good today. But then I listen to CDs since I don't have the vinyl versions). With vinyl, even on the Rega with an mm cartridge, you get that tactile holistic musical satisfaction: cimbals shimmer and decay so naturally, and you can feel the tightness of any drum skin, vocals always well projected, lead instruments has all the naturalness in timbre ( e.g. I can hear and feel Earl Klugh's full blooded classical guitar strings tension and the wood resonance so delicately) and bass notes will always be in tune. Most of all vinyl will give you tempo, timing and stereo separation lacking from CDs. For someone who plays guitar and have quite a collection of these too, and attend a lot live concerts and gigs it means a lot to me to get as close as possible a sound reproduction at home that is like the real thing by whatever means and I'm less concern about the attributes of hi fi quite honestly.

So for you younger guys (surely, and guys only right), the first few steps to getting into vinyl is as follows( this is my vinyl prophecy, go this path at your own risk):
1. Make sure the missus or girlfriend will not object to this new extended hi fi hobby. Its akin to buying and restoring a classic car. She may think you're nuts. Putting a 'needle' onto some huge spinning black spinning stuff each time to get some music out isn't going to look pretty. Then having to religiously clean your stylus and wipe your records before playing each side is going may give her envious looks. And then you discover the black art of vinyl spinning-upgrades (catridges, arms) and tweaks (experimenting with mats, cartridge alignment, suspension, power supply, support options, etc) all of this potentially and morever satisfying D.I.Yed. and only possible with this old technology called turntables. She'd even go crazier when your black stuff collection increases. Hell vinyl playing is addictive, so beware.
2. Buy the best you can afford for it'll last you longer without having to upgrade for a long while and therefore you'll just enjoy vinyl music without upsetting the missus on another upgrade soon. Yeah, do your usual knocking off a single or a couple of zeros of the price when she asks. It's a healthy and morally correct hobby hi fi, and you deserve it. Buy new since you're a newcomer. You would'nt know what to look for in the conditions of second hands. I'd go for a non suspended design as unlike Western homes we have concrete floors and not bouncy timber floors. A mid range Rega, a Rega 3 and upwards (these come standard with Rega arms which are tops and time proven and used by other manufacturers too so must be good value as Rega can sell us cheaper due to economy of scale), a low range Clearaudio model (superb construction) or a midrange Thorens. Both these decks come with Rega sourced arms. The Rega deck (cheaper) is really your best option as you can keep the arm when you upgrade your deck later. The arm itself is tweakable, wiring and counterweight options aplenty esp. by Origin Live.
2. For cartridge I'd go and get a good but reasonably priced moving coil straight away. Get this from the internet from say, Needle Doctor in the States. Postage is cheap for such a small item. Good value models are those that have been in production for a long time as R&D costs have been long covered and they stayed in production because they're still popular. My shortlist is Denon 103/R, Benz Micro models but my favorite in the superb everlasting model Sumiko Bluepoint No 2 which is around US 300.
3. You need a MC phono preamp and this is an extra expenditure. I have no experience with all current models so maybe read reviews and choose wisely. Mine is an old but faithful Acurius model with so many setting options.

I hope the above is useful and good luck.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:20 am

Respect to you dude. Look forward to your contributions on vinyl experience here.

What's a "Project Perspective" ? Issit an old discontinued model from Pro-Ject Audio Systems (That Austrian brand that makes its TT's in the Czech-Republic) ?

From what I read, Pro-Ject audio systems is really spearheading the vinyl revival today by offering very good best bang-for-buck affordable TTs with stellar performance to the iPod generation.

They got this entry level TT that has a built-in USB port (and integrated A/D box) so people can make MP3s from their vinyl collection! This is really opening the vinyl realm to today's kids of the "iPod, Playstation" generation.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Mugen,

Hey thanks, I'm happy to share my experience.

Yes it's the Pro-Ject Perspective. Kinda look like an Oracle and a suspended TT. I don't know whether they are still in production. Sound is pretty good but could do with a better arm. The standard arm looks and feel fragile, so I'm contemplating putting my spare Rega arm on it. But this will require a major modification. But I'm working on it.

Cheers!
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:20 am

Nope .. can't find the Pro-Ject Perspective in their current catalogues or website. Found this "PerspeX" model... mebbe its the replacement model?

I think Pro-Ject's modern TTs are really cool. Big thick acrylic platters & base. Real bling-bling to look at. Not the usual boring rectangular plinth boxes. I guess i value a bit too much on equipment aesthetics as well. Razz
They make really cute electronics too. Small box packaging for the phono stages and stuff. But kinda hard for old-school folks to take them seriously i guess.

Anything else with such fanciful acrylic construction would have to be Clearaudio and their entry level "Emotion" model already starts at Rm5K+.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:48 am

Wan Azami Hamzah wrote:
so I'm contemplating putting my spare Rega arm on it. But this will require a major modification. But I'm working on it.

Cheers!

awesome ... u got all the alignment tools & toys to do an arm transplant job properly as well? study

Whats wrong with your existing Pro-Ject arm ? ... I saw some Pro-ject TTs having this really lightweight one piece carbon-fibre arm. Looks really futuristic and i would think very close to ideal too since the lesser the tonearm mass hence lower inertia, the better the sonic qualities.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:50 am

Anyone have to respect Pro-Ject as I think they're now the largest producer of vinyl stuff available to cater from budget to the best in their range. A glance at their official catalog also lists widest range of vinyl accessories at affordable prices. I bought quite a number of their accessories. Brush, mat, spirit level, little necessary thingys an enthusiast should have, moreover needless to buy from the internet.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by finylvinyl Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:47 am

Hi all,

apart from the regas and projects this is another option worth considering:

http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/vinyl01.html

finylvinyl

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:11 am

no lar ... if anyone is more crazy nostalgic about a turntable legend ... better to go for a Linn Sondek instead. No frills, minimalist and most of all, iconic (if you're into all these kind of sentiments). And all the fancypants gizmo upgrades are all hidden nicely beneath and freedom of 3rd party arms too.

The Technics is too "fanciful" with that very industrial tonearm linkages, and that volume slider bar etc...

i might be having a friend's Linn Sondek over for restoration & recalibration soon.... Wink
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm

mugenfoo wrote:
i might be having a friend's Linn Sondek over for restoration & recalibration soon.... Wink

You gonna do the works?
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:23 pm

cmboy wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:

You gonna do the works?

yup Smile
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi Mugen,
No lah I outsource the various bits. There are lots of fine tooling & machining workshops in KL and PJ. Plenty in the yellow pages. That's the beauty about our country-cheap skilled resource. U can take your cadd drawings around for the cheapest quote.
I had my armboard and spacer for my Systemdek meticulously measured out for working arc based on Rega instructions and drew everything I need accurately and fully dimensioned on the computer.
My Pro-Ject is a different animal though. There's no option of fitting arms other than their own. It uses Linn mounting but you can't fit a Linn arm as there lack of clearance between subchasis and plinth. To fit practically any other arms means cutting a larger hole in the acrylic plinth.
So I'm dismantling the whole deck after Raya hopefully. 1: modifying the subchasis to accept a replaceable circular armboard - for toying with various arms. 2: Cut a larger arm pillar hole in the plinth.
I'll report if the Rega arm transforms the deck but I suspect it should.
Cheers
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:10 pm

ok..later on lets hear from your views on LP12 sound. Hope you've read the LP12 manual cover to cover. Its only easier to understand when there's one right in front of you and need some special suitable tools to do it all. Hint: a deep throat socket driver will be an invaluable tool, not the ring spanner. Also needed is a correct Philips pozidrive screwdriver. Without the RIGHT tools, can easily make a mess out of it all including accidently scratching the cosmetics. Not to mention the need a jig stand for more ease of suspension tuning. Good luck then.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Hmmm....

ok, deep socket driver. Check.
I also got some offset ring spanners and some coupling sockets though... see how lah. Cross the bridge when i get there.

Philips pozidrive... tadak, but i'll make do with something else.
Regular philips aplenty.

Jig stand, can do. Got some wood blocks and stuff to do the job.

Think i'll do download the manual from the linn website....in the meantime, i found this instead:
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Linn.html
Razz
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:59 pm

mugenfoo wrote:Hmmm....
Razz

You need to do better than that for utmost accuracy. Even 1/8 turn is critical.
That link is only tips and hints. You still need to memorize the proceedure by heart to do it well. Ok..it'll be your 1st attempt, don't screw it up. Good luck!

Last edited by cmboy on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:00 pm

BTW, fixed the rumbling rumble on my TD150mkII... turns out one side of the spring suspension was sagged and resting on one of the plinth corners.

No wonder all the motor rotational noises were being picked up by the head.

So crawled under the plinth, some adjustments of the 3 spring loadings and a bubbler to get back some horizontality on the platter... Now its good to go again. Sound is also much more "detailed and airier".
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:03 pm

cmboy wrote:
mugenfoo wrote:Hmmm....
Razz

You need to do better than that for utmost accuracy. Even 1/8 turn is critical.

What would u recommend then as a good jig rig ?

Hahaha... if i screw it up, i don't feel any pain coz it ain't mine and furthermore its currently is a state of total neglect. It's really hit rockbottom for that ol' Linnie already. I think it's one of those 80s model with an ittok arm.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Custom fabricated hollow channel stand that suit the TT and have access from underneath. The spikes below are adjusted for true level. Otherwise 3 point spiked stand without table top can do.

If very old model, there's many items may need to replace like the spring set.. otherwise calibration and bounce will never be optimum. Re lubing the bearing oso got some technique, not just about few drops and go. Ok,,the rest is trade secrets... hahahaha! Go learn the manual thoroughly.

Last edited by cmboy on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:09 pm

ok thanks .. i'll make do with the 3 point stand with no board.

The rest i'll muddle it out along the way.... "just for kicks".

;P

BTW, @cmboy, you're definitely a "Linnie" !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:11 pm

mugenfoo wrote:ok thanks .. i'll make do with the 3 point stand with no board.
BTW, @cmboy, you're definitely a "Linnie" !

NO, I'm not! trust me, but I know that make and its technicalities very well enough for personal progress.
I don't recall hyping the LP12 is an ideal TT for anyone. I still luv and play my budget Rega often for most purpose and intent. I'd luv to own a few more TT's of other makes but I've just NO place for it and don't want someone at home to NAG and HARASS at me.

Last edited by cmboy on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:47 pm

Hmmm.makes me think its because so many things to play play with the TT rig that interests many here. Yes, its a nice and unique machine to own after its demise 2 decades ago, akin to owning a collectible car and foolin around with it. Its just plain boring with digital gear, considering not very much to play play with, unless anyone is technically competent. Nevertheless the essence of it all is it opens the door to more undiscovered music that can be played to full potential with the right amplification and speakers. Just like LS3/5a, its huge potential was discovered and realized associated with digital gear, better amplification, cables, acoustic treatment and positioning. 20 years ago, it was almost worthless.

Ok..a peek into what I've been up to.. fooling around with a Rogers E20a amplifier, particularly with its tube phono stage. Not a very good tube circuit implementation and had to tweak its gain and bass response enhancing it to a more palpable and vivid performance. It was just too anemic, lean and uninvolving to say the least. A few component changes to the circuitry did the trick...very healthy now..Enjoying it right now.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:42 am

sivaguru wrote:Wan Azami Hamzah, welcome.I share many of your ideas and thinking including that about wife acceptance factor.Sometimes we forget and spend too much time with the TT and send the wrong message."Semua mahu balance".Hoping to learn more from you.By the way, yes Wisma Audio is at Island Plaza 1st Floor and so too is Audible Difference who do Clearaudio TT's.
Regards,
Sivaguru
Hi Guru,
Cheers mate. I'm no guru myself, but hopefully my experience can be of use to all. Sorry about the missus factor hehe, I did mean we should consider her didn't I? Incidently I'm not married anymore so it's ....ok enough of that. Even then and inspite of it I cherish old gear and find ways too keep them in condition and improving or tweaking them instead of buying some latest state of art TTs. It's more satisfying without forking large outlay.

Some tips on how to get the best from your TTs without costing an arm and leg coming up soon. Covers TT placement and siting, leveling, VTA, HTA, Bias adjustment made simple, belt cleaning and which way round to use, best oil for bearing. And if I'm in the mood perhaps some TT secrets too hehe.
Twisted Evil
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hangleng Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:07 pm

I have just set up my turntable with external phono stage connected to my line stage with a pair of interconnect. I noticed that one side of my speaker is louder than the other side but it is absolutely normal in CD mode. Wish to know what could have caused this problem. TQ

hangleng
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Could be any of these possiblilites at the source front. Likely to rare and could happen.

1. Wrong hookup/wiring of cartridge pickup. Color coded.
2. Tonearm cable defect
3. RCA plug and earth defect.
4. Defect at phono stage area, cabling in & out
5. TT arm not setup properly.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:54 pm

My TT also have some problems when it starts and stops spinning.

I am sitting in front of my computer screen doing the reading of the postings made throughout the weekend about Vinyl.
So many things to read.... Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:01 pm

car o scope wrote:My TT also have some problems when it starts and stops spinning.

I am sitting in front of my computer screen doing the reading of the postings made throughout the weekend about Vinyl.
So many things to read.... Razz

Very simple.. go buy a new turntable. Minimal problems in that department. Vintage or old stuff are not always troublefree. They have to be fully serviced for optimum operation.
Just serviced 3 TT's for a buddy, bearings was almost dry of lubricant. If not for me and that owner's ignorance, his TT would have seized up or worn down beyond redemption one fine day soon. Mind you 2 of them were expensive ones. (at current value).
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:11 pm

YEs. I know buying a new TT will definitely help.
It is also the simplestest solution to my TT problems.

I seldom play TT and that's the reason I am not scouting for a new TT now. hahahahahahaha... Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:44 pm

Thats why I stay away from vintages like the plague, save some. Had one, sold it off...good riddence. Its nearly always these machines need careful rebuild and service for a new lease of life. If expectations are higher to push it to real potential, be prepared to stand on you head to acquire desired parts for the project, not including the amount of $ one have to fork out. Japanese vintage, equally or even worse prospects. Its can be far more stressful than restoring a vintage car. Been there, done that.

Last edited by cmboy on Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:49 pm

Aiyoyo... Then, I better leave it as it is.
Dont want to touch it liao..

Save money and reduce expenses.
Some more nowadays very worried of being jobless. Sad
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

I've seen very few prestine cosmetic condition along with fully fit mechanicals (when I say prestine, I mean almost markless, scratchless and near perfect, save very light scuffs) vintage TT's around. It amuses me when anyone claims a few dings, scratches, fading and other quite visible cosmetic defect as excellent or mint. Our local weather, humidity and polluted enviroment is one primary source of aging and parts deterioration of the highly mechanical TT. I don't want to digress on how people and owners handle their rigs, could be sensitive or some offensive.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzman Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:24 pm

hi all,

have any of you ever heard of jc verdier turntables, eg platine or nouvelle? how does it measure up to Linn?

jazzman
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 pm

jazzman wrote:hi all,

have any of you ever heard of jc verdier turntables, eg platine or nouvelle? how does it measure up to Linn?

Very modern and perhaps niche market for those who can afford. Linn is just another 70's model well built suspended TT like its competitors in Thorens, Ariston, Pink Triangle and others. Different presentation altogether, not to be compared. I mentioned earlier there was one by Wisma Audio at a previous KLAV show. I think the review can be found in Star Audiofile. Go read it there.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzman Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 pm

thanks mate.

jazzman
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by adrian4454 Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Wan,
Good sharing!, I am interested in your idea of Postage buy from Needle Doctor. Questions:

- How much is the postage for couple of cartridge?
- is it truly door to door?
- How long will it take for the goods to arrive?
- Reliable?

adrian4454
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 722
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by cmboy Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:22 pm

Buy cartridges from internet sources like Ebay. Ask the seller all you need to know till you're satisfied. I've bought numerous items without a hitch...but limiting myself to small value you may be prepared to risk loosing due to various unforseen circumstances.
cmboy
cmboy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wan Azami Hamzah Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi Adrian,
Visit Needle Doctor's website for details. Yep they're an established company and reliable. They also provide re-tipping service for some cartridges I recall.
Cheers.
Wan Azami Hamzah
Wan Azami Hamzah
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 am

frd. if u really want know urs tonearm suitable urs cart requirement
go to geogle .

www.cartridgebd.com sure u enjoys calculate frd.

tq hazy
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 am

hazy wrote:frd. if u really want know urs tonearm suitable urs cart requirement
go to geogle .

www.cartridgebd.com sure u enjoys calculate frd.

tq hazy

huh?
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by hazy Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:22 am

mugen u not familiar tt kah . geogle lah
hazy
hazy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:49 am

yah , i not familiar ... apa itu geogle pun aku tak pasti.. Razz
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next