Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO

3 posters

Go down

Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO Empty Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO

Post by Wikin Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 am

Hi Guys,

Sharing some work done here to reclock a Marantz CD63 using a precision 1ppm TXCO (temperature compensated crystal oscillator).

Instead of using common transistor method or TL431 shunt regulator to clean up the 5v incoming power, I tested using a more traditional and brute force method to do the clean-up, i.e. chokes, and plenty of them.

The entire module is built on a blank PCB to act as the ground plane for noise reduction purposes.

Tapping from the unused 12V regulator (the op-amps have been removed), it is the fed into this series of L-C-L-C-L-C filtration Shocked

Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO P4050010

Zooming in, the last L-C filter comprises a ferrite choke and Tantalum caps for a super clean-free EMI/RFI supply.
The TCXO seen here is positioned above the cap - I eventually moved it to the left-down so that it is sitting directly on the ground plane (not shown).
Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO P4050011

Clock output from the TCXO is linked via a shielded pure silver coaxial and is connected to player. As usual, the old crystal + 2 nearby ceramic caps will need to be removed.
Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO P4050012

Also not shown, the entire module was then inserted into an a plastic box filled with sponge so that the PCB is free from external vibrations.

The results are very nice indeed. Compared to the original crystal, transparency improvements are its strongest traits. Music just flows freely, more effortlessly and is much easily followed due to reduction in congestion.

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Character sheet
Source(s): PC Audio
Amplification: Tri Amping Active
Speakers: High Eff Open Baffle

Back to top Go down

Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO Empty Re: Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO

Post by elhefe Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 pm

i have heard what tube can do to this CD player.....I cannot imagine what this reclocking would do Smile

Reclocking CD63 with direct TCXO Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm

elhefe wrote:i have heard what tube can do to this CD player.....I cannot imagine what this reclocking would do Smile

These 2 mods do complement each other; to put it into another perspective, putting in the tube/valve circuit gives the effect as though we are looking at a picture through a magnifying glass i.e. the soundstage becomes big, bold, wide and tall; reclocking is like adding a focus+polarizer lens in front of that magnifying glass i.e. the sound cues in the soundstage eventually snaps into better focus Wink

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chin66 Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:28 am

This modded CDP is mine and I must clarify that it had been modded before by Wikin last year when i send it to him to add a tube valve. At that time I had not given due praise to our very own Malaysian talented 'Lampizator'. Cool So this time I feel obliged to give recognition and commendation to Wikin in this forum as my way of thanking him for his outstanding job done to my CDP.

Our own Malaysian can create (or to be precise 'tuned an ordinary CDP into') a high standard CDP comparable to some of the hi-end imported CDP........MALAYSIA BOLEH !!! cheers

Some of you will obviously want to know from a user point how well the end product sound. But first you may want to refer to the link below to understand initially how the sound improve upon the first mod done from the original un-modded gear.

http://www.hifi4sale.net/t31260-tube-marantz-cd63-ki#77608

Now after the re-clocking mod and changing the input connection to an IEC socket, I can hear even better resolution in the music and crystal clear vocals. When before it was already 'razor' sharp vocals, it is now akin to 'needle pin point' sharp vocals. The soundstage also has opened up further in all directions including depth. You can almost feel the various layering when multiple instruments are playing.

OK in another way, to know how my CDP's SQ has improved, I will give an account of my experiment playing the various music as follow:

Playing the song 'The Boy Next Door' by Stacey Kent in 'Jazz Around Midnight' CD, her voice is stunningly clear and forward as though she is singing right in front of me.

Next playing the song 'Love by Grace' by Lara Fabian in 'Classics In The City' CD, Fabian's voice again is prominently crystal clear forward. However this time the accompanying piano sound seems to flow and wrap around me as if I am in the middle of the stage. Shocked

Next up the score 'Isla Del Luna' by Lisa Lynne in the same CD. The music has plenty of high pitch sound and strumming of guitar. The CDP played out very well with smooth treble and no 'stinging' to the ears especially when the guitar is stringed.

I then put in the CD of our very own Malaysian made Commemorative CD given during the last KLIAV show and played the song 'This Boy' by Brendan Perry. Wow wow wow!!! cyclops I can sense even deeper 3D effect in this song compared previously. The echos seems to even last longer into the background.

Then I continued on with the song 'Long Black Limousine' by Barb Jungr. This is where I can hear the various instruments in their own place and distance from me (the layering effect). All this while without obscuring Ms. Jungr's unique voice and later some backing vocals towards the end of the song. There was also a clear separation between Jungr's voice and the reverberation of the last lyrics of each line.

So overall I find myself getting excited again with my CD collection as the music has become more lively with my 'energised' vintage CDP. All thanks to our maestro Wikin.

Btw: To all those interested to mod their CDP with him, be sure to do it now as i heard from the grapevine he may be leaving Malaysia for good pretty soon. Sheesh....another of our homegrown talent lost forever Crying or Very sad
chin66
chin66
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:38 pm

I have a friend who knows a friend to a friend in immigration... Lets block Wikin's passport so that he cannot leave Malaysia hehehe... Smile

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

chin66 wrote:
Playing the song 'The Boy Next Door' by Stacey Kent in 'Jazz Around Midnight' CD, her voice is stunningly clear and forward as though she is singing right in front of me.

Next playing the song 'Love by Grace' by Lara Fabian in 'Classics In The City' CD, Fabian's voice again is prominently crystal clear forward. However this time the accompanying piano sound seems to flow and wrap around me as if I am in the middle of the stage. Shocked

Next up the score 'Isla Del Luna' by Lisa Lynne in the same CD. The music has plenty of high pitch sound and strumming of guitar. The CDP played out very well with smooth treble and no 'stinging' to the ears especially when the guitar is stringed.

I then put in the CD of our very own Malaysian made Commemorative CD given during the last KLIAV show and played the song 'This Boy' by Brendan Perry. Wow wow wow!!! cyclops I can sense even deeper 3D effect in this song compared previously. The echos seems to even last longer into the background.

Then I continued on with the song 'Long Black Limousine' by Barb Jungr. This is where I can hear the various instruments in their own place and distance from me (the layering effect). All this while without obscuring Ms. Jungr's unique voice and later some backing vocals towards the end of the song. There was also a clear separation between Jungr's voice and the reverberation of the last lyrics of each line.

Hi Victor,

I feel you should also give yourself a pat on the back for having a different mindset and trusting your instincts to allow extensive modifications to be done on your CD63. Without that mindset, you wouldn't have achieved this level of satisfaction. Kudos to you my friend Very Happy

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikin Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm

elhefe wrote:I have a friend who knows a friend to a friend in immigration... Lets block Wikin's passport so that he cannot leave Malaysia hehehe... Smile

This is boleh land huh Laughing

cheers
Wikin
Wikin
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by chin66 Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:49 am

Wikin wrote:
elhefe wrote:I have a friend who knows a friend to a friend in immigration... Lets block Wikin's passport so that he cannot leave Malaysia hehehe... Smile

This is boleh land huh Laughing

cheers

Aiyah no need to block his passport. Just get a few of our forumers here to dig out their old sentimental CDP and throw it to Wikin to upgrade. That should keep him busy here for sometime... Laughing

And Wikin, I was too poor to afford buying one of those hi-end CDP Sad so I had to tell myself why not take the plunge by having my existing CDP modded. And that's how I started looking for modders like you ....... and so, no turning back after the first mod Rolling Eyes
chin66
chin66
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:24 am

Chin, Wikin,

This is a fine example of a hifi-er who knows what he wants. If we have that kind of discipline, we can easily set a clear path on where we want to be with hifi and not fall into purchasing things that we dont actually need or want just because of how people hype about it.

Proper comparison and critical listening while demo-ing different kit is something one should do when that itchy hands starts to dig into the wallet Smile

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down