Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others)

+2
sari
kamfei0512
6 posters

Go down

Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others) Empty Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others)

Post by kamfei0512 Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:45 am

Scenes From Internet LP Buying

It’s a question I am asked all the time by people who buy vintage and new vinyl from both places: What’s the difference between the two? I have one full-blown, unrepentant-as-heck, vinyl addict who swears by www.Discogs.com. Says he finds the weirder stuff cheaper there than on www.eBay.com. There is no doubt that Discogs is cheaper both for the buyer and the seller. But in my book Discogs has one massive and so far insurmountable problem—they have not paid someone to write the code that would allow for photos on their site. Until they do they will always be the B, or maybe C team. So I’m supposed to trust that a Discogs seller is telling the honest truth about the condition of a record I cannot see on the site? Please. Anyone who buys a record for over ten bucks on Discogs without asking to see photos either has more money than sense or enjoys risk. Say what you want about eBay and their fees, which are no doubt passed on to the customers, but photos do not lie.

Furthermore, it’s easy to sort out the scammers and amateurs just by looking at the pictures. Anyone savvy enough to take crisp, clear photos, from multiple angles, of the jacket, labels and the actual vinyl, probably has it together and probably means what they say. If you’ve got the goods, particularly with older records, which can be obscenely expensive and fairly fragile at this point (Abbey Road is 46 years old and Hank Mobley’s Soul Station is 55 years old to cite just two examples), photos will tell the story. Not that I’m doing a commercial here for eBay but sellers there learn quickly that the only way to get the price up is to take good photos and be detailed and honest about the LPs they are selling.

All of which brings me to a recent example of Discogs dealings that I think illustrates the path you often trod with many sellers on that site. I ordered a double LP for ten dollars, which in retrospect may have been too cheap and I should have known better. After two weeks went by and nothing arrived in the mail, I sent the seller a message. This is what I got in return.

“Hey there - thought it had gone out because I didn't see it when I looked for it the other day. I'll verify and get back to you by tomorrow afternoon. It's possible it sold locally. I'll refund your payment if that's the case. I'll let you know as soon as I'm sure what's up.”

Another ten days goes by and no record and no email verifying it did or did not go out. After another prodding email from me, I was refunded my money via PayPal and so the case was finally closed. All of this is clearly a minor annoyance but again a fairly typical example, at least in my dealings, of some of the folks you run into on Discogs. A little more screening of sellers on their part might not be a bad idea. It would be great if they upped their game and really became the site for LP commerce.

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/scenes-internet-lp-buying#1TJwbeTJTPJkOq94.99

I know 99% (if not all) h4s sellers here are sincere and honest with genuine products but some are priced kind of steep for an average Joe (or rather lowballer) like me.

So, what say you?
eBay?
Discogs?
Or some local stores in your area?

Feel free to share any good (or bad) experience with your LP purchases.
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2011-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Audio Alchemy DDS II + DDE v1.1, Google Chromecast Audio
Amplification: Arcam FMJ A19
Speakers: Audio Physic Tempo 25

Back to top Go down

Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others) Empty Re: Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others)

Post by sari Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:01 am

I am also having better experience at Ebay. As for this forum, it is good experience for me, except occasion really low baller.

sari
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2011-12-03

Back to top Go down

Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others) Empty Re: Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others)

Post by elhefe Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:50 pm

I am never fond of buying LPs online from outside Malaysia. Too much hassle and too much grief. I dont like waiting for things via the mail. Thank God I am not one of those 'must have this LP in my collection' person. So, I am a buy from the shop kind of person. 

I do have one or two local seller that I trust but most of the time... its buying from the shop. Especially now there are so many shop choices in KL.

Discogs VS eBay VS Amazon (VS others) Whatsa11
elhefe
elhefe

Number of posts : 1371
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Amplification: McIntosh MA9000, SPL Audio Phono
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

http://www.notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:41 pm

elhefe wrote:I am never fond of buying LPs online from outside Malaysia. Too much hassle and too much grief. I dont like waiting for things via the mail. Thank God I am not one of those 'must have this LP in my collection' person. So, I am a buy from the shop kind of person. 

I do have one or two local seller that I trust but most of the time... its buying from the shop. Especially now there are so many shop choices in KL.

Which shops would you recommend Bro?

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage
Speakers: Audio Physic Cardeas 30

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:16 pm

llsaw,

1. For jazz, 70s, 80s, 90s music... used and brand new: Go to Tower Records and find Stevie Quah. She can also help to order stuff for you. Only in shop purchase

2. For rock and metal... go to Hard Graft Records in PJ... they do delivery as well.

3. For a mix of everything... go to Teenage Head Music in Subang Jaya... only in shop purchase.

4. Of course... the chain store Rock Corner and also Speedy.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet
Source(s): Kronos PRO, Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood, SONY MD, SONY HAP Z1 ES, HiFi ROSE RS150, ROON Nucleus, Aavik D280 DAC
Speakers: Borresen X3, PMC Twenty5 26i, PMC Twenty LCR, PMC Twenty Sub, ARCAM AVR20, JL Audio Sub, Ascendo Sub.

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Just received all my purchases through eBay. Overall, the experience has been satisfactory.

1) all LPs (well, some CDs as well) arrived safely in LP mailing boxes with good packaging, even extra cushioning inside the boxes

2) the sellers I've encountered so far have been very helpful with my questions regarding the condition of the contents

3) all those LPs I bought are old titles, so they are not new anymore with sellers able to address the wear-and-tear part(s), if any

4) the arrangement for the delivery has been good as some purchases were from "Buy It Now" whilst some were from "Auction", though from same seller

There is a shop (or 2 shops side-by-side) in PJ, called Ruby Music Centre/Cool Record Shop, which I find not bad.

Still, I am kind of reluctant to pay the price for new LPs/reissue/remaster (unless they are good or at discounted price), hence shopping around the 2nd hand market.
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:14 pm

elhefe wrote:llsaw,

1. For jazz, 70s, 80s, 90s music... used and brand new: Go to Tower Records and find Stevie Quah. She can also help to order stuff for you. Only in shop purchase

2. For rock and metal... go to Hard Graft Records in PJ... they do delivery as well.

3. For a mix of everything... go to Teenage Head Music in Subang Jaya... only in shop purchase.

4. Of course... the chain store Rock Corner and also Speedy.

Tower Records are still alive! The one I in Penang closed down years ago Sad Where are they located? I usually visit Rock Corner in The Curve/Ikano.

I bought a Daughter LP from Hard Graft but unfortunately the pressing was quite noisy. Hard Graft did ask me to return though they do not have new stock but I've decided not to bother and just enjoy the cd.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s): Digital: Metronome Technologie CD8t S, Analogue: Clearaudio Ovation TT with Clarify tonearm and Clearaudio Stradivari V2 MC
Amplification: Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated amp, Gryphon Legato Legacy phonostage

Back to top Go down

Post by vt4c Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:22 pm

In Penang, you may get Lp from Artist Impression at either Gurney  or Queensbay Mall...They do take order if you've info. to the Lp.
vt4c
vt4c
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by elhefe Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Llsaw...

Tower records is still alive and kicking... its located in the Borders bookshop in Gardens Mall. I get all 80s gems from there.

New LPs also sometimes a gamble. Mostly are good but sometimes still get dodgy ones.

elhefe
elhefe

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 am

http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.my/2015/04/tower-records-still-alive-and-kicking.html
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:44 am

elhefe wrote:Llsaw...

Tower records is still alive and kicking... its located in the Borders bookshop in Gardens Mall. I get all 80s gems from there.

New LPs also sometimes a gamble. Mostly are good but sometimes still get dodgy ones.

Will visit Tower Records when I go Kay-EL.

I find all sort of issues with new LPs apart from surface noise including warped records, spindle hole too small, frayed edges, etc. I have had zero quality related issues with audiophile records but these typically cost >RM 200 per album..

Last edited by llsaw on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:48 am; edited 3 times in total

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by llsaw Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:45 am

vt4c wrote:In Penang, you may get Lp from Artist Impression at either Gurney  or Queensbay Mall...They do take order if you've info. to the Lp.

The selection for Artist Gallery QB is more. Look for Joey.

llsaw
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by kamfei0512 Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:50 am

On the other hand, limited choices of shop in Ipoh Sad
kamfei0512
kamfei0512
Regular
Regular

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by vt4c Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:27 pm

llsaw wrote:
The selection for Artist Gallery QB is more. Look for Joey.

Opps...It's Artist Gallery. Thanks.

Yeah...Joey is very helpful. Very Happy
vt4c
vt4c
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2009-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by saigonanhkiet Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 am

I tinks Ebay is the best

saigonanhkiet

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-07-12

https://saigonanhkiet.com/san-nhua/san-nhua-kumjung

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down