Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Buying speakers from eBay or Amazon

3 posters

Go down

Buying speakers from eBay or Amazon Empty Buying speakers from eBay or Amazon

Post by smta1111 Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:44 pm

Anyone here have experience buying speakers, or other audio equipment, from foreign sellers on eBay/Amazon?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Shazz

edit: I'm concerned about Kastam/SIRIM issues or hold-ups.

Last edited by smta1111 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

smta1111

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-09-13

Back to top Go down

Buying speakers from eBay or Amazon Empty Re: Buying speakers from eBay or Amazon

Post by gkt Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Hello Shazz, what would you like to know? I bought a pair from the US off ebay in the past. 

Bought from TMR Audio. Speakers arrived very well packed and fully functional.
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Densen B475, Goldmund Mimesis 12 DAC
Amplification: Clarity Audio Mono Pre and Power
Speakers: Silverline Bolero

smta1111 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Buying speakers from eBay or Amazon Empty Re: Buying speakers from eBay or Amazon

Post by smta1111 Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:19 pm

gkt wrote:Hello Shazz, what would you like to know? I bought a pair from the US off ebay in the past.

Thanks for replying, @gkt!

Was wondering if you had any issues with Kastam about either tax and/or SIRIM certification.

I had ordered a mobile router from Amazon last year, and DHL informed me it was stuck because they considered it an "electrical appliance" (not 'electronic' equipment) and so required me to apply for approval by SIRIM. Since then I've been a bit hesitant to buy electrical/non-computer equipment from overseas No

smta1111

Back to top Go down

Post by panda Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Hi Shazz

Yes you wil be taxed by the tax friendly people. I bought a pair of pre power just after MCO, and was taxed of the value they think should be taxed NOT what you have declared on your declaration. Go figure.

panda
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-09-12

smta1111 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by smta1111 Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:16 pm

panda wrote:Hi Shazz

Yes you wil be taxed by the tax friendly people. I bought a pair of pre power just after MCO, and was taxed of the value they think should be taxed NOT what you have declared on your declaration. Go figure.

Thanks for chiming in, @panda.

Some questions:

1. What was the tax rate you got hit with? Looking at the JKDM Tariffs page they "should" only charge 10% SST (import rate should be 0%).
  2. No problems with SIRIM approval/certification?

Cheers!

smta1111

Back to top Go down

Post by gkt Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi, 

On taxes it depends a bit on luck. 

The ones I imported from the US was taxed, as another pair I drove in from Singapore.

I also hand carried a pair from the Philippines and Hong Kong, these were surprisingly not taxed. 

None required SIRIM approvals... First time I am hearing this. I wonder how many audio gears out there has SIRIM approvals if that were the case. 

If you ship by courier and the package is large generally it will be held up at Customs. I use 3rd party consolidators e.g. Buy and Ship and did not encounter any issues so far (I did not ship speakers through this arrangement though).

Given the state of our government coffers I suggest you factor in an import duty just to avoid disappointment. 

On the rate I think it was 10% for the pair from Singapore, and 26% in total for the pair from US... Don't ask me why...
gkt
gkt
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Densen B475, Goldmund Mimesis 12 DAC
Amplification: Clarity Audio Mono Pre and Power
Speakers: Silverline Bolero

smta1111 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by panda Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 pm

Hi, 
The governments policy is anything above RM 500.00 get taxed. The pre and power I had were from 2004, and therefore it’s not new was my answer to them. I also said it was used pair. So the price is very subjective. They still slapped me with RM700plus tax on them items. I air courier it down took less than a week to arrive at Penang but customs clearing is at their leisure . I got it the following week. Hope this helps.

panda
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-09-12

smta1111 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by smta1111 Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 pm

gkt wrote:Hi, 

On taxes it depends a bit on luck.

panda wrote:Hi, 
The governments policy is anything above RM 500.00 get taxed.

Thanks very much for sharing, @gkt & @panda! Very Happy

smta1111

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down