Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Driving Miss Maggie, Chapter 1

+9
moderneagle
htkaki
bassraptor
chang
WongKN
car o scope
mugenfoo
samn
zeebee
13 posters

Go down

Driving Miss Maggie, Chapter 1 Empty Driving Miss Maggie, Chapter 1

Post by zeebee Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:35 am

In this quest to quench our thirst in this infinitely insatiable hobby of ours aka itchy back side syndrome Very Happy I have embarked into a journey to improve the 'bottom end' of young Missy... Not that end my friend, know what u r thinking.. Cool

The evening started with a bang, well almost, more like a bzzzzzzttt followed by a smell of something burning.. I had a Wyred 4 Sound Pre and SX1000 monos delivered personally by the owner, Harris (mucho mucho gracias mi amigo) for an audition. Accidentally Plugged my 120v Esoteric SA60 into the local line while shifting and sorting out the powercords for the Wyred Monos!! Shock horror.. So came down my venerable Marantz S7001KI to do the spinning duties...

Anyway, invited two forummers first and just trying out pm-ing others and by good fortune, the evening ended with :

Chang, Joki, KN Wong, Moderneagle, Mugen Foo, Sting and VS126!! And ended till the wee hour of this morning, about 2am actually for some of us...

I'll start off this post with special thanks to KN Wong, who managed to squeeze time to drop by and of course to the great guru, Joki, for his advice and get this, setting my Maggies on the right placement .. cheers

A very very special thank to the poison miester, Chang who started the ball rolling to the rest of the kakis.. To be continued...

Cheers,

zeebee

zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Driving Miss Maggie, Chapter 1 Empty Re: Driving Miss Maggie, Chapter 1

Post by samn Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:09 am

Hope can share some exciting photos of the evening. Very Happy
samn
samn
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Character sheet
Source(s): Rega RP3, Audiolab 8200CD, Marantz CD6003, Teac W790R & Teac V5010
Amplification: Audiolab 8200Q & Audiolab 8000M
Speakers: Mission Volare V63

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 am

the chocolate cornflake balls were delicious.
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:19 am

Sounds like you guys had a great Saturday night party!! jocolor
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Hmmmm..... this MF fella, supposed to go listen, end up talking about food. Talking about chocolate... now where did I keep that dark chocolate bar..... Laughing

ZB, I was surprised/shocked at how difficult the Maggie is to drive. Your passlab meter was shooting beyond the 3/4 point with some of the music and they were not particularly demanding too.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by chang Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:30 pm

ZB, You welcome. No poison how to improve? What are friends for...

chang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Sigh .... Cool

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Sujesh, why you so sad, no one poisoning you for a long time already kah ? When you getting the Kismet ? Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:22 pm

No Kismet for me ...I feel Khartago Extreme SE is better. maybe mono bloc version later. And I want my VW Golf ... Wink

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Golf GTi ? Nice car. Personally I'd prefer the FD2R though I am sure you won't be surprised coming from me. I thought you already have a Khartago already ? So you want to monobloc it ? Having seen a confirmation of how difficult the Maggie is to drive, I think that would be a very good move indeed....
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:58 pm

I have had absolutely no problems driving my Maggies with my Khartago Extreme SE ...the amp doesn't even work up a sweat, even with the Apogees...but i think u know that already ...Mono bloc only because itchy Laughing ...now got spider rack so even better ... Twisted Evil

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 pm

WongKN wrote:Sujesh, why you so sad, no one poisoning you for a long time already kah ? When you getting the Kismet ? Laughing

Looks like Sujesh already got poisoned, deeply but already found the antidote. Spider rack!! Razz
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:30 pm

WongKN wrote:Hmmmm..... this MF fella, supposed to go listen, end up talking about food. Talking about chocolate... now where did I keep that dark chocolate bar..... Laughing

ZB, I was surprised/shocked at how difficult the Maggie is to drive. Your passlab meter was shooting beyond the 3/4 point with some of the music and they were not particularly demanding too.

KN,
You are most welcomed.. That's why having the itchy backside and as you wisely advised... scratch it Very Happy. Yes, the little Missy is a real power sucker, I did note that the Passlab shoots up, especially when you run some bass heavy passages.

But then again, based on last nights consensus, it didn't fare that badly. The Wyred did very well too, IMHO, they were more upfront and perhaps not really properly set up.. And of course the interconnects not at par to their capabilities. Thanks VS126.. you keep poisoning me Very Happy Very Happy

Sifu Joki's placement of the panels has really given more space and as he mentioned, to let them breathe and with bigger soundstage. I'm clearing up the clutter and may experiment a bit with the cables. Thanks Sifu.. it is Awesome..

Mugen, if you enjoyed the chocolate, there's more... the quickie at your place was a revelation.. Evil or Very Mad dragging in the Miss Maggie into the fray may be a real possibility.. looking forward to it. Thanks for bringing over your Krell, can't wait for the real thing..

Car_O_ Scope,
The party would have been a real ball if the belly dancers turned up, despite the the promise of fortune and fame, none of them turned up. Laughing So each gentlemen had their turn on the Miss Maggie one at a time with the occasional group action..Embarassed

Samn,
Didn't take any photos during session but I will post a 'before and after' photos as I can't upload using Google Chrome, later. Nothing really special with the setting up as I'm using a typical terrace house living room with no special treatment to enjoy the music. All these guys are really helping out to get the best where possible to enjoy the music..

Sujesh,
Another session... will need your poison too, last nite didn't hook up the P7, but I do have a bit of query. Yep, the Kismet beckons mate cheers

Had a quick trip to Amcorp this afternoon before dropping of my fried Esoteric at Dr Oh in OUG.. Saw another MM 1.7 ready for a new owner (I presumed), Mr Ong wasn't around but I'm sure there will someone grinning broadly soon with these babies.

Before I forget, apologies in general to others on behalf of this crowd... we forgot about 'Earth's Hour' and instead of no electricity for the hour, we increased our carbon footprint by the hectares in our quest to drive Miss Maggie Embarassed Embarassed

Cheers..

Last edited by zeebee on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 pm

With the appearance of those belly dancers, the whole group would be too busy to pay attention to your Miss Maggie. Then, you have to start playing the song "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" lol!
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 pm

bassraptor wrote:I have had absolutely no problems driving my Maggies with my Khartago Extreme SE ...the amp doesn't even work up a sweat, even with the Apogees...but i think u know that already ...Mono bloc only because itchy Laughing ...now got spider rack so even better ... Twisted Evil

Confused says "when bekside itchy, it is best to scratch".... Razz
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:41 pm

ZB,

Each combo - wyred, krell 300i, passlab pre-power, they have characteristics of their own. A lot depends on your personal preference and how they match to those characteristics. It is worthwhile to consider experiences of other maggie owners as well.

Regretably I didn't try those chocolate cupcake thingies.
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:33 pm

bassraptor wrote:No Kismet for me ...I feel Khartago Extreme SE is better. maybe mono bloc version later. And I want my VW Golf ... Wink
So fast itchy butt already Very Happy

The party would have been a real ball if the belly dancers turned up, despite the the promise of fortune and fame, none of them turned up. Laughing So each gentlemen had their turn on the Miss Maggie one at a time with the occasional group action.. Embarassed
Hi-fi orgy then lol!

Mugen, if you enjoyed the chocolate, there's more... the quickie at your place was a revelation..
Shocked now chocolate. Later, probably 'black and white'. You know, 'black and white' quite popular nowadays

Confused says "when bekside itchy, it is best to scratch".... Razz
Wong Suk, I had always thought 'it is best to spend'. No? Rolling Eyes

lol!
htkaki
htkaki
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 674
Registration date : 2009-01-22

http://www.htkaki.com

Back to top Go down

Post by moderneagle Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Me neither. I had the soggy peanuts instead. Thanks Zeebee for the hospitality. The maggies are sex. And like sex I imagine it's often times hard to drive but when the mood's right, like after Joki fondled the positioning, man... Btw Joki looks even better in person.

Pardon me, am using layman language to express my feelings about maggie and how she sounded to my ears. This was my first ever listening party and I can't think of a better way to be unflowered.

Yours, had a great time, moderneagle.

moderneagle
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:27 am

Actually, for me, I think I'm almost done with the Magnepan 1.6 challenge, ie, getting the best bass from them without spending too much. Now must plan to move to higher challenges .... like making a Wilson Sasha or Thiel 3.7 or Odeon work well in my room. But first, have to get them! Or maybe a 3.7, better value ... let's see ... What a Face

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by mllum88 Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 am

As you have now found out, Maggies are difficult to drive. My first experience of them were some 22 years ago when I listened to a pair of MG III's and made a friend for life with the owner of that pair of Maggies. Since then, I have had the privilege of knowing other Hifi enthusiasts who have owned or still own Maggies in their various iterations and have listened to their speakers.

That first experience to pure ribbon tweeters is an experience never to be forgotten nor replicated. After that I was hooked only on panel speakers and cannot now stand box colourations.

Anyway, here's a tip; a cheap and cheerful way to drive Maggies as was adopted by my friend was to disconnect the stock passive crossover and to use an active crossover and to then run separate amps from the active crossovers. ie teh preamp feeds the crossover and the crossover feeds 2 power amps. The bass was powered from a humble Audiolab 8000p and that was sufficient.

The mids and highs were driven by an ARC D115 and later by a 845 monoblocks.

Try this option before going down the expensive amplification route.

Incidentally, if you are not averse to DIY, check out the moskido on DIYaudio.com. The guy who started the thread is running the moskido on his Maggies and he raves about the diy moskido asserting that it is superior to kilobuck amps like Jeff Rowland.

See particularly post 40+ onwards where he has refined the moskido to a direct coupled design, where its is said that the new refined design is even better than the original one at the beginning of the threads.

My 2 cents worth

Thanks

mllum88

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Zeebee,

Thanks for the great evening with yr maggies.

Not trying to poison you with the wyred monoblock, but for the price of less than RM9500, must be the best value in town for a kilowatt plus monoblock.

Also like to thank the owner of the wyred for the loan of his amp. Although not much justice done to it coz it is sitting on thick floor carpets and as ZB mentioned, interconnects and CD player not up to the mark, it does sound wonderful. Too bad we did not have time to audition with it after the new speaker placement.

All in all, great evening with great friends. And yeah, nice meeting new and old HIFI kakis. Best 1.7 setup I have heard so far.
VS126
VS126

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Dear Zeebee,

Thank you for having me and I hope I did not take up too much space when there was already a crowd.

Despite listening in your living room, it has a nice shape and a good size for your Maggie. While I understand your home minister's requirement, I think you could jiggled a bit to make Maggie sounded more at ease. What I did was simply allowing sound from your Maggie to be heard more instead of your room by allowing the former to project into the listening position more freely. I hope it suits your listening requirement.

Thank you for the hospitality, and my pleasure in meeting you.

JoKi
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by jokiarch Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:49 pm

moderneagle wrote:Me neither. I had the soggy peanuts instead. Thanks Zeebee for the hospitality. The maggies are sex. And like sex I imagine it's often times hard to drive but when the mood's right, like after Joki fondled the positioning, man... Btw Joki looks even better in person.

Pardon me, am using layman language to express my feelings about maggie and how she sounded to my ears. This was my first ever listening party and I can't think of a better way to be unflowered.

Ha.. very funny Moderneagle. At the given stance, I was only "watzing" with Maggies! Razz Fondling? Embarassed Maggies would have sounded more willing Twisted Evil

But I must say, the great evening was partially from the meeting of so many fellow hifi friends. I literally make few friends in one meeting.

I must thank Wong KN for taking me but it was really a last minute! I would be more well behave in future and avoid uninvited fondling.

JoKi
jokiarch
jokiarch
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Jo,

Once I get my listening room ready it would be an honor if you can come and fondle my Italian mistresses. The daughters of Franco Serblin await your magical touch. Won't you come caress these voluptuous Italian beauties? And while you're at it, could you also teach them how to sing? Razz
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 pm

Man, sounds like u guys had fun ... and zeebee didn't even invite me ... Crying or Very sad

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

jokiarch wrote:
moderneagle wrote:Me neither. I had the soggy peanuts instead. Thanks Zeebee for the hospitality. The maggies are sex. And like sex I imagine it's often times hard to drive but when the mood's right, like after Joki fondled the positioning, man... Btw Joki looks even better in person.

Ha.. very funny Moderneagle. At the given stance, I was only "watzing" with Maggies! Razz Fondling? Embarassed Maggies would have sounded more willing Twisted Evil

But I must say, the great evening was partially from the meeting of so many fellow hifi friends. I literally make few friends in one meeting.

I must thank Wong KN for taking me but it was really a last minute! I would be more well behave in future and avoid uninvited fondling.

JoKi

Gents,

Been trying to upload pictures but the net extremely slow for some reason, will try to do soon.

Moderneagle,

Bro, very sorry about the soggy peanuts Embarassed Embarassed thought you're unaware of that when you're being deflowered Very Happy

Joki,

Thanks again for your advice and help... great to meet fellow enthusiasts especially one with this uncanny gift for good sound. The crowd wasn't intended as everyone somehow happens to be able to be available at the same nite from that short pm-ing and sms-es. And yep, agreed with Moderneagle, you look better in person ... hmm must be the soggy peanuts.. Embarassed Embarassed Looks now that you're in demand for your 'fondling' abilities too Very Happy

The new position for the Maggies is fine, my Home Minister is okayed it and in fact suggested to get a suitable 2-seater of her own choosing to replace my single seater to join me in a menage-a-troi with the Maggies Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes. She actually enjoys listening to music too.

To be quiet honest, at the moment, I'm very happy with the set up, music listening is for me to relax and of course appreciate good sound reproduction. Any tips and advice are are most appreciated.. mllum88, I'd skip the DIY bit for the time being... hopeless when it comes to this; appreciated regardless.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

zeebee
cheers

Last edited by zeebee on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 pm

bassraptor wrote:Man, sounds like u guys had fun ... and zeebee didn't even invite me ... Crying or Very sad

Bro, u shy ma... I sms u early but no reply Embarassed still u owe me one.. sorry bro.. Twisted Evil
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 pm

zeebee wrote:
bassraptor wrote:Man, sounds like u guys had fun ... and zeebee didn't even invite me ... Crying or Very sad

Bro, u shy ma... I sms u early but no reply Embarassed still u owe me one.. sorry bro.. Twisted Evil

when, la, didn't get any sms from you last week ....

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Maybe the sms went to holland already.... Laughing
WongKN
WongKN

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by moderneagle Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey Zeebee no apologies needed bro! Even though they were soggy I was committed to finishing once I started. I should apologise for wiping them out.

Ok back to maggies and positional fondling.

Yours, soggy peanuts and coke also can, moderneagle.

moderneagle
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:20 pm

thats why , the choco balls still the best !
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey! What Choco BALLS??

I got the Soggy Peanuts.

Anyway, Good Music and Great Company.

Too bad the belly dancers did not turn up. (I think yr wife cancelled it)
VS126
VS126

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by zeebee Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:17 pm

VS126 wrote:Hey! What Choco BALLS??

I got the Soggy Peanuts.

Choco balls n Soggy Peanuts... What else to serve a bunch of virile and good looking macho guys Very Happy. The belly dancers didn't turn up coz they know I'm pokai oledi after the Passlabs and the Maggie's, no more money n can only serve soggy peanuts. Well it almost made one deflowered HUG into a MUG cheers

Mugen, there's still more choco balls, maybe another session soon with another Krell
Evil or Very Mad Question Question
zeebee
zeebee
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:50 pm

zeebee wrote:
VS126 wrote:Hey! What Choco BALLS??

I got the Soggy Peanuts.

Choco balls n Soggy Peanuts... What else to serve a bunch of virile and good looking macho guys Very Happy. The belly dancers didn't turn up coz they know I'm pokai oledi after the Passlabs and the Maggie's, no more money n can only serve soggy peanuts. Well it almost made one deflowered HUG into a MUG cheers

Mugen, there's still more choco balls, maybe another session soon with another Krell
Evil or Very Mad Question Question
The other one? You are referring to the audition at his place or at your place? The latter seems too much of a hassle to do so.

Choco balls n Soggy Peanuts... hmm.. Seems like Banana Split is missing from the menu.
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 pm

Banana Split is not as "refreshing" as juicy papayas or sweet cherries!
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by htkaki Sat May 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Was given the opportunity to audition Ms Maggies 1.7 today by zeebee. Nice meeting zeebee, Chang and VS126. Have a fun time and I am amazed by the accessories that zeebee had in collection. Too bad that SJ could not join us.
htkaki
htkaki

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down