Hi-Fi 4 Sale - Malaysia / Singapore Audio Forum & Marketplace | www.hifi4sale.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

440Hz.my - expanding musical horizons
Subscribe to our Feed
addtomyyahoo4 Subscribe with BloglinesAdd to netvibes
Add to Google

Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread

+23
CLH
hifikrazy
junchoon
carz
tycham
catal2002
Norman Audio (M)
chchyong89
azri
izamjazz
car o scope
WongKN
bimmerman
Rijang
mugenfoo
bal
f8.
bassraptor
VS126
double-ten
foomarnhing
kerahkeng
LazerJuan
27 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Empty Magneplanars

Post by LazerJuan Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Magneplanars

Don't intend to start a new thread as my current one is still unanswered...LOL.

Since
Abang Zul broght up the story of his Magnepans, I am wondering are
there any stores which brings in these critically acclaimed speakers.
Already went to the Magnepan official site but the is no mention of it.
Have seen Martin Logans in Malaysia stores before but that was many
moons ago. Never had the chance to hear Magnepans before though.

LazerJuan

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Empty Re: Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread

Post by kerahkeng Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:47 am

Greetings,

I'm also trying to find a local Maggies dealer and service center. I have a pair of old maggies .5 QR under my bed.

Those babies need to be serviced because it has been there for years.

kerahkeng

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-03-16

Back to top Go down

Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Empty Re: Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread

Post by foomarnhing Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 am

the local dealer is Absolute hifi 0378048788. I bought my MG1.6Qr then traded in for 3.6 from them. Problem is that they need to bring in as and when ordered and it can take time. But good things are worth the wait.

foomarnhing
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Empty Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread

Post by double-ten Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:36 am

hi all,

i'm a newbie here...please forgive me if my post is in the wrong place.

i tried many times searching these forums for anything to do with Apogees or Maggies but could find nothing. Am i missing something? I used all the appropiate keywords in my search and still nothing!.... pale

i am hoping to connect with current or previous owners to checkout their personal experiences with these speakers.

can anyone please point me to the right thread if it exists?
double-ten
double-ten

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:10 am

What you need to know about maggies.
There is a diehard group of maggie owners in PJ/KL,
VS126
VS126
Dealer\Reseller\Trader\Service Provider

Number of posts : 640

Character sheet
Source(s): MacMini, 16GB RAM, SSD with Clones mPsu / Clones Asher DSD Dac
Amplification: Crayon CFA 1.2, Red Dragon S500, Clones Audio 25PM /AP2
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 am

yes, double-ten, what do you want to know about maggies? I've used maggies for most part of the past decade, a few of my friends, too. Right now, mine's the MG1.6 ...

my personal experiences have been extremely satisfying .... care needed in choosing ancillary equipment and also placement, but once done, you could be addicted for life .. Smile

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1238
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

http://www.audiofi.net

Back to top Go down

Post by double-ten Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 pm

hhmmm...finally connecting! Thanks vs126 and bassraptor!

I have heard both apogee and maggie and i found differences. since both of you are maggies diehard i will talk about maggie then.

it seems that planars are speakers which the majority avoid or never talk about. Thats the impression i got from talking to various dealers and hobbyists. Some even told me i'm getting myself into trouble if i really buy them. This is why i really need to talk to owners of these incredible speakers to find out the truth!

I plan to own such a speaker but with the little info i have, i just can't decide. Please help me here guys!

- who and where is the current dealer? Is it true there are actually no real maggies in the dealer's office for me to audition? I have to order based on the catalogue and my own faith?

- the older maggies seem to be infamous for the 'glue breaking apart' problem...is this true?

- our climate and humidity would affect the ribbons?

- getting proper after sales service in KL can be a problem?

- compared to box spkrs, maggies are notoriously difficult and sometimes even impossible to place correctly in any room to get the best out of it?

- ribbons attract and gather dust? can this be a real problem?

That's all for the time being. I'm also curious as to the number of diehards in kl as well as whole m'sia. Care to give me an estimate? And also rarely do i see maggies appearing in 'for sale' pages both local and down south. These speakers must be so good everyone holding them tight! Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin
double-ten
double-ten

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:50 am

- who and where is the current dealer? Is it true there are actually no real maggies in the dealer's office for me to audition? I have to order based on the catalogue and my own faith?

Apogee went out of business a long time ago, but the company has been revived in Australia by some diehards. Maggies are distributed here by Absolute Hi-Fi. Yup, they don't bring in the speakers nowadays unless on order. You want, you order. They work on the same basis with their FM Acoustics stuff. They're not really keen on customers who want to audition first. I'm not sure if their Singapore head office carries stock, u could check.

- the older maggies seem to be infamous for the 'glue breaking apart' problem...is this true?

Yes, it is, but the problem was largely resolved from the 1.6 and 3.6 onwards. But the distributor has a guy is very good a re-glueing. A friend who bought my first pair of 1.6 has no issues, it's 10 years old. My current pair is about 3-4 years old, no issues.

- our climate and humidity would affect the ribbons?

The worst enemy is briny humidity, ie, if you live close to the coast near the sea. Keep them in a regular dry room, no exposure to sunlight, and they shud provide years of service.

- getting proper after sales service in KL can be a problem?

Apart from the glue, nothing really goes wrong with the maggies unless you overdrive them and blow the fuse or short the crossover.

- compared to box spkrs, maggies are notoriously difficult and sometimes even impossible to place correctly in any room to get the best out of it?

Not impossible, but difficult. It's a labour of love. I've had hours of fun experimenting. They need space and high current amps work best with them.

- ribbons attract and gather dust? can this be a real problem?

You can occasionally lightly vacuum the cloth grilles if you want. I don't bother. No problem. Unless you live in a particularly dusty environment.

That's all for the time being. I'm also curious as to the number of diehards in kl as well as whole m'sia. Care to give me an estimate? And also rarely do i see maggies appearing in 'for sale' pages both local and down south. These speakers must be so good everyone holding them tight!

That's because once you've got a pair of Maggies and love them, you don't really give a damn about what the rest of the world is listening too. Unless it's a bigger pair of Maggies! Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin

You always welcome to listen to the 1.6 at my place. I live in Subang Jaya. We will have to arrange a time as I'm usually home late.

Hope you've found some answers here ... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_cool

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:33 am

Hi 1010,

BR says it all.

Just my observation;

Ribbons do not attract dust, electroststics ie martin logan, quad etc does. Moreover, maggies's ribbon is protected by the lace cloth.
I hardly see any dust when I opened up my maggie of more than 10 years to change the ribbon.

BTW, the ribbons can be ordered directly from magnepan for around USD 60 for 3 sets together with all the required connectors etc.
You can fix up a tweeter ribbon within 2 to 3 hours, one hour if you have done it before and it is good as new.

All other parts can be fixed without having to replace expensive components.

Yes, that friendly guy from absolute is very good at fixing delaminated panels and very reasonable price too.

The 3 series maggies uses true ribbons while the 1 series is quasi ribbon.
once you have heard true ribbons, it is hard to go back to quasi.

For the best bang, 3 series is the best option for all rounders. Big open sound with deep fast bass, mids to die for and super delicate airy highs from the 60 inches ribbons.

You will have to get high current amps though. (Oh by the way, if you ever own a maggie, do not ever use vacuum to suck the dust from the ribbons, I have warn you).

There are some very well setup maggies in PJ and KL. There is also a hugh following up north in Penang.

What are yr current amplifier and room size?
VS126
VS126

Character sheet
Speakers: Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S, Spatial Lumina 12Be Statement and soon Spatial X-1 Uniwave with Vinnie Rossi Lio 4 channel Ultracapacitor amp.

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi, like BassRaptor, I listen to a pair of 1.6 myself.

It has been succeeded by the 1.7 which you can find a review by an owner here
http://cheaptubeaudio.blogspot.com/

In early May there was a pair of 1.6 for sale in Singapore here
http://www.hifihub.com.sg/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3163

I've never heard the true ribbon Maggie's but would be interested to. Maybe we could do a Maggie home visit amongst ourselves? VS126 and BassRaptor?

Personally I think Maggie's are great for acoustic music and vocals. I especially like the way they present acoustic bass or any stringed instrument for that matter. If the likes of Stanley Clark, Nils Lofgren, Bela Fleck and Al diMeola float your boat, you may be in for a treat.

And most like them for the size and scale of the presentation too.

f8.
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Yes, I know the 1.7 ... not in a hurry to change right now. Maybe in 4-5 years, to the 3 series ... still enjoying the 1.6 ... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_smile

double-ten, if you have the budget, yes, full ribbons like the 3.6 ... but at 2.5 times the cost of the 1.6, if you're that ambitious. But even with the 1.6, you'll find few dynamics speakers performing at its level.

I play a lot of non-acoustic music, too, on my system ... those who say Maggies have no bass or cannot play rock or non-acoustic stuff haven't listened to a properly driven and set-up pair of Maggies. Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_lol

more maggie owners coming out of the woodwork???

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Go to audio asylum under plannar asylum.

3 series with tri amping with active crossover is hard to beat.

That will take you to heaven night after night,

And that means any 3 series from the 3, 3.3, 3.5 to 3.6

They are all the same.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Modified crossovers, custom frames, customised stands ... there's a whole wide world out there for Maggie lovers who are tweakers to experiment with ... lots of info, too.

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:01 pm

VS126 you sound like a lucky man who goes to heaven every night Smile

I have fixed my own delamination with Maggie sourced 3M 30-NF Milloxane and when you remove the socks, its actually remarkably simple and elegant.

In recent times there's been a resurgence in open baffle with huge woofers (big surface area with low excursion for less distortion); and dipole tall line arrays. Check out Jonathan Valin describing the Nola Baby Grand Reference:
http://www.avguide.com/blog/no-1-contender-nola-baby-grand-reference-loudspeaker

Big surface area, dipole, tall. That's where the Maggie operates.

f8.
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Not anymore...I sold it. I hv used different models of mag over the years.

Now I have a better speaker.

The new owner go to audio heaven every nite. He uses Krell Mono amplifier.

You can never go wrong with a maggie. Heard it goes well with Class D amplifier so you actually do not have to spend big bucks on amp.

PM me if you need details on how to repair maggies.

Good luck.

Cheers
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:10 pm

I can vouch for that. I've used my Maggies with various amps, including Krell and McIntosh, but a high-current/gain Rm6k+ Exposure 3010S2 worked beautifully with them!

I'm curious, VS126 - what's the better speaker you use now? Still with ribbons? Or boxes?

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:26 pm

I never like box speakers.

There is a saying: Once you have gone boxless, you will never go box again.

But I do have box speakers for Ht and casual listening
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:48 pm

VS126 wrote:I never like box speakers.

There is a saying: Once you have gone boxless, you will never go box again.

But I do have box speakers for Ht and casual listening

You're right about that. After I sold my first pair, I was out of the game for a while, got back and spend a couple of years trying out a number of boxes ... but when the chance came to grab another pair of maggies, i went for them without hesitation.

Actually, about a decade ago, I used a pair of slim and tall Maggies - forgot the model, they went down only to 80hz - for my HT system. With a passive NCA sub. I've never quite managed to recapture that sort of presentation in my AV system!!!

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm over the moon with joy... literally just unpacked my MMG from maggie. i ordered online via their web site.

I have owned 2 pairs of the much older SMGa, and unfortunately sold one, and the other one awaits it's time to go back to the Maggie factory for huge mylar tear that i am unable to repair.

Does anyone know how to re-mylar these babies locally?

Going to hook up everything over the weekend and let it slowly burn in... i hear it can take a couple of hundred hours to fully burn in.

but yup, since hearing the SMGa's last year, i find that box speakers some how don't hold my interest anymore.

Bal.

bal

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2009-03-06

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac
Amplification: conrad Johnson, Oddessy Khartago mono b
Speakers: maggie 1.7

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 pm

BR,

I have seen yr system.

You will be surprised what a 3 series will do in yr room.

Try them one day, probably will send you to Audio Nirvana...

Will give you the bass for a bass lover like you.

Last edited by VS126 on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Bal,

They shipped to you from their factory?

How much do you pay for them incl. freight?

I was told they only ship to US address.
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:10 pm

VS126 wrote:BR,

I have seen yr system.

Yah, that would be my next speaker ... need to save up first ... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_razz ... man, so I know you?? You been to my place? What amps were running then? It's all changed the past months, but the speakers remain.

Bal: Yes, curious to know about your direct purchase and freight. did you pay duty?

FYI, Absolute was last quoting RM10k for the 1.6, which means the 1.7, will be the same price. The 3.6. they're quoting over 20k! They tell me it's the freight/duty charges ... I don't kmow ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:25 pm

Yr current amp with ayon cd player
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:31 pm

VS126 wrote:Yr current amp with ayon cd player

Oh, the Odyssey? In that case, I think I know ... the list is very short ... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by double-ten Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:03 pm

You guys are great! your replies very helpful and cleared up my doubts and i can now go ahead with my plans. Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_cheers

vs126 was spot on. the 3 series produce highs so mesmerising your ears would melt in ecstasy if you are not careful!

one question - on a scale of 1 to 10 and true ribbon the perfect 10, how would you guys rate quasi ribbon?

in terms of getting crystal clear highs that literally float in the air, can the quasi do an equally good job compared to true ribbons?

from what i read, the 1.6 seems to be most popular. Is it mainly due to its room friendly size?
I listen to classical and i think you guys know what kind of dynamics i'm talking about. Can the 1.6 handle the lower end with the volume at 12 o'clock? The specs may look good on paper but the true test is in the listening. Whats your experience guys?

I have also heard due to their physical nature, maggies can't be driven too loud or you risk damage. I can understand this but what i would like to know is what is considered too loud? The fuse is there for protection so one can never really drive them to destruction or am i wrong?

my room is 20' x 30' x 11'. the floor is parquet and the ceiling painted asbestos. One end of the room is wall-to-wall glass window covered with thick curtains. So which model suits the room best?

i don't have a high current amp. My old setup (more than 20 years old) definitely no go. The components are pretty pedestrian by today's standard. I won't name them but they are mostly british. I know a high current amp is never cheap. What's more important to me is the amp must jive with the maggies. Any recommendations for my budget of 5 to 10k (maggies on a separate budget)? Better to get a used unit?

On the same note, whats considered the minimum output current to drive maggies reasonably well?

vs126 - i'm curious as well what could be that better speaker you found?

bassraptor - your 1.6 you got it from absolute? how long did you wait?

once again thanks guys! Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin
double-ten
double-ten

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:48 pm

BassRaptor you're using the Oddysey Stratos now? How do they sound with the 1.6, compared to lets say your McIntosh...

I'm driving mine with a low powered Class A from Plinius, the SA50. Maybe thats why my listening tastes have veered more towards acoustics/vocals/jazz.

DoubleTen I've not heard the 3.x so am not really qualified to say, but it sounds to me you've more or less set your sights on the 3.6. I think the 1.6 is popular because its more affordable and the amplification is likely more affordable than that of a 3.6.

Given the size of your room and that you cherish those magical highs, the ribbons of the 3.6 may well be your ticket.

However I have read high end reviews that favour the 1.6 over the ribbon models on grounds of coherence. Jonathan Valin is one such reviewer and for many years, the 1.6 was all his rave. The 1.7 now uses quasi ribbon for both bass and treble and is reputed to be even more coherent and 'of one cloth' than the 1.6.

I have not heard the 1.7 nor the 3.x so I can't say. What I can say is I used to listen to the Sonus Faber Electa Amator I which is quite a bit more expensive than the 1.6 but personally prefer the 1.6 for its transparency, neutrality and scale.

As for current most Class A amps tend to have bigger current capabilities (evident from their weight and size of heatsinks and transformer) so I think they are suited for Maggies.

I don't think playing them too loud damages them. Might damage the relationship with the wife and/or neighbour though.

f8.
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mugenfoo Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:23 pm

i know one guy who blew his Maggie 1.something 3.6 with a Sunfire amp.

maybe the Sunfire Amp was cranked till clipping and thats why it blew the panels ? But it's since been repaired, so i heard.

Anyone playing a pair of Maggie 3.6 here ? Am super keen to hear how these babies sound esp with supplied with more than ample Amp juice.

Last edited by mugenfoo on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
mugenfoo
mugenfoo
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 2668
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Character sheet
Source(s): Technics Compact-Cassette Deck
Amplification: DIY Kit 15Watt
Speakers: Pasar Road Special.

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:03 am

double-ten: I didn't wait. they had a demo pair that was hardly used, i took it at a special price. i already knew what to expect. Also, read what I said earlier - you'll get excellent results with the Exposure amp I mentioned, well within your budget. The 1.6 is a recognised classic now ... I once heard it driven by a 50-watt, high current FM Acoustics amp, heavenly. But a ridiculous price equation!

f8: I sent back the Macs. They sounded pretty good, took about a year for those autoformers to run in ... but when I heard the Odyssey Tempest 2/Khartago Extreme combination with them, I was sold. The Macs sounded, well, grander, but the Odysseys were faster and more transparent. There, I said it ... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_eek

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:04 am

mugen: Audiophile record producer Leslie Loh uses a pair of 3.6 ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 am

bassraptor wrote:
VS126 wrote:BR,

I have seen yr system.

Yah, that would be my next speaker ... need to save up first ... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_razz ... man, so I know you?? You been to my place? What amps were running then? It's all changed the past months, but the speakers remain.

Bal: Yes, curious to know about your direct purchase and freight. did you pay duty?

FYI, Absolute was last quoting RM10k for the 1.6, which means the 1.7, will be the same price. The 3.6. they're quoting over 20k! They tell me it's the freight/duty charges ... I don't kmow ...

Hi all, yes you can order them direct from Maggie and they will ship. But mahal, mahal, mahal. The cost of the maggies MMG(smallest of the lot, but i have a tiny room, and the bigger models won't fit) is USD599, with 60 day money back if you don't like them. E- mail magnepan@magnepan.com

The freight, however, add another USD350. then when they arrive, be ready to fork out another RM800 for duty!!

But what to do... this is a labor of love, and once you fall in love like this, there is no going back to a box. So it is what it is. I for one have no regrets. Once my bank account goes up again (probably next year...), i will ship my torn SMGa pair over to Magnepan for a rebuilt... unless someone here can re-mylar?

Hope this helps. I just received my speakers yesterday... not even hooked up, but man, they look a dream come true!

Bal.

bal

Character sheet
Source(s): CEC T2, Oppo blu ray, mac mini running Audirvana thro Teac ud 501 dac

Back to top Go down

Post by VS126 Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:08 am

Hi bal,

I think magnepan has a repair kit for torn mylar.

How big is the torn?

It is not worth sending the smga all over to the states for repair as the speaker is not worth much 2 nd hand. The transport probably cost more than the speakers itself.

Get the repair kit, probably cost you less than 50RM and you can do it yrself. Get to know yr maggies, undress her and explore. you will realise that it is oh so easy to repair.

Good luck with yr mmg, heard it is a killer after you had hardwood frame on it.

Cheers
VS126
VS126

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 am

Hi, guess I'm another maggie lover coming out of the woodwork. Agree that once you go planar, you never go back to box speaker. I'm using one of the older SMGc. Like f8, driving with plinius sa50. So far satisfied with it for my listening needs.
Any of you guys done any mods to your maggies, it'll be interesting to hear a hardwood reframed maggie that talked so much in the states.
IMHO the first mod a new maggie owner should consider is the stand. the L bracket for the older maggies are crap. I DIY'ed using aircon brackets (<rm$20) and added a pair of Linaeum tweeters that I happened to have lying around. Improved the sound very much to my ears.
The maggie listening session sounds like a good idea.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:56 am

Stairway to Heaven according to VS126:
1. Listen to ribbon maggie every night
2. Undress her and explore

I've done number 2 only to find she didn't have those delicate ribbons at the top. But what she had she made good use of. So, I focus on waist down lah..

Hi Rijang, yes I agree. Lets get together.

BassRaptor I've heard good things about the Oddysey Stratos, is there a local dealer in our country and have you heard it?

f8.
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Rijang Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:13 am

A real ribbon might sound better on paper, but I think Jonathan Valin may be right that it doesnt integrate as good as quasi ribbon on the same piece of Mylar. Listened to one with real ribbon (cant remember model i think it was 20. something?) side by side with a 1.5 and can definitely hear the discountinuity between woofer and tweeter as opposed to the 1.5 which is more seamless. the bigger maggie definitely have better upper extension and definition though.
doubleten,
there's some secondhand dealers carrying planars, Harry at Campbell have Apogee hybrid (which I listened and feel is too bright), eminent technology hybrid and I think he just got a 1.5. Thinking of dropping his shop to have a listen to the latter 2.
How does the 1.5 compare to a 1.6? can anybody who have heard both comment.

Rijang
Club Member
Club Member

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:20 am

VS126 wrote:Hi bal,

I think magnepan has a repair kit for torn mylar.

How big is the torn?

It is not worth sending the smga all over to the states for repair as the speaker is not worth much 2 nd hand. The transport probably cost more than the speakers itself.

Get the repair kit, probably cost you less than 50RM and you can do it yrself. Get to know yr maggies, undress her and explore. you will realise that it is oh so easy to repair.

Good luck with yr mmg, heard it is a killer after you had hardwood frame on it.

Cheers

Dear VS126,
many thanks. Unfortunately the tear is big, and the rest of the mylar is almost like tracing paper... touch and it will tear. So basically we are looking at a re-mylar the whole speaker job, which essentially is rebuilding it.

A forumer on the MUG.... ''Magneplanar User Group'' asked a question recently on the forum... get new MMG or rebuilt his old SMGa. The surprise was that almost all the replies were in favor of getting the old SMGa rebuilt. Apparently more emotional sounding, better bass than the MMG.

By this time my MMG was in a kapal terbang on the way to KLIA so too late to do anything about it lah.

But perhaps i am jumping the gun... i will listen to the MMG for a bit and decide later. The SMGa is very old. But before it died, the sound could make me cry with joy, even in my little crap room. :-)

Bal.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 am

Bal you're too modest. When something makes you cry with joy, the object may be a 'crap room', but the subject is clearly a whole different world.

And on this note of object and subject, I imagine as an object, the sound of ribbons is probably more attractive. But on the subject of the music being played, will the so called coherency allow the object/sound/speaker to stand out of the way to allow us to access the music better?

So I think it depends whether one is after a certain sound or after something else. To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with wanting a particular sound from a hifi set, and likewise there are people perfectly happy with limited extension on full range speakers as they feel it gives them more of the music.

f8.
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:39 am

f8: Audio Image carries the Odyssey amps now. I hear the Stratos is damn good, too, by I'm sticking with the Khartago Extreme for now. It drives my 1.6 with ease. High current, rather than high power first ....

bal: so you ended up playing close to Rm4k is all for the MMG. I think would have been more thru the distributor! So good deal ...

Yes, there'e a couple of places in the US that do hardwood frames for the Maggies, you gotta ship them over. Cost and logistically prohibitive. Anyone does them in Malaysia?

I've take another route with supports for my Maggies... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_smile

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:47 am

bassraptor wrote:f8: Audio Image carries the Odyssey amps now. I hear the Stratos is damn good, too, by I'm sticking with the Khartago Extreme for now. It drives my 1.6 with ease. High current, rather than high power first ....

bal: so you ended up playing close to Rm4k is all for the MMG. I think would have been more thru the distributor! So good deal ...

Yes, there'e a couple of places in the US that do hardwood frames for the Maggies, you gotta ship them over. Cost and logistically prohibitive. Anyone does them in Malaysia?

I've take another route with supports for my Maggies... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_smile

Share your thoughts and experience regards the supports for maggies?....

Bal.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:53 am

I use magnetic supports, something like the Clearaudio Magik, but cheaper, from Taiwan. They're called Magnet Shock Isolators from Elite Acoustic, you won't find much info in internet but there's a distributor in town. Note - if you have kids or pets, not recommended. Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:16 pm

bassraptor wrote:I use magnetic supports, something like the Clearaudio Magik, but cheaper, from Taiwan. They're called Magnet Shock Isolators from Elite Acoustic, you won't find much info in internet but there's a distributor in town. Note - if you have kids or pets, not recommended. Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin

Thanks Bassraptor.... i'll probably go the ''aircon bracket'' or IKEA bracket way....after new maggie and pre amp purchase, my right bum is still smoldering from '' burnt wallet syndrome''.... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_tongue

Bal.

bal

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by bimmerman Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:08 pm

bassraptor wrote:I use magnetic supports, something like the Clearaudio Magik, but cheaper, from Taiwan. They're called Magnet Shock Isolators from Elite Acoustic, you won't find much info in internet but there's a distributor in town. Note - if you have kids or pets, not recommended. Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin

That's exactly what I use too. Works a treat!!
bimmerman
bimmerman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Character sheet
Source(s): Mark Levinson
Amplification: KRELL
Speakers: Sonus Faber

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Ha ha, glad someone shares my opinion ... Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_smile

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Absolute said they have ordered the new 1.7, but Magnepan hasn't started shipping yet. They'll inform me when units are in, so can go listen ... will keep you guys posted ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by f8. Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:25 pm

What better than a maggie meet up at the dealer listening to the new baby. Let us know when to strike Taman Megah?

f8.
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:58 pm

I will ... they say it will be under Rm10k ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by WongKN Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:36 pm

On the subject of one poster having heard a pair of Apogee Hybrids but sounding bright - it is a symptom of being driven by an amp with not enough power to drive it properly. This is the worse scenario. Up from that is an amp that can drive but can't control the speaker. Then the speaker will have loose bass with lousy definition, slow and lacks punch. This is one big problem with Apogee speakers, especially the full ribbon ones. They require a really strong amp (more current than power again, like it is with Magneplannar) to drive them properly. It is a pity Apogee went bankrupt when they diversified into other areas though there is ample spare parts supply nowadays from Australia. You maggie fans should be very happy and appreciative Magneplannar is still alive and doing well.
WongKN
WongKN

Number of posts : 1795

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by bassraptor Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:44 pm

For Apogee watchers:
http://www.apogeeacoustics.com/

I had a pair of hybrid Apogee bookshelves once, cool stuff if driven right .... yeah, pity the company went broke ...

bassraptor
Admin
Admin

Character sheet
Source(s):
Amplification:
Speakers:

Back to top Go down

Post by car o scope Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:09 pm

WongKN wrote: It is a pity Apogee went bankrupt when they diversified into other areas though there is ample spare parts supply nowadays from Australia. You maggie fans should be very happy and appreciative Magneplannar is still alive and doing well.

Since the Apogees changed hands to Australia, I noticed that the prices have gone up too.
car o scope
car o scope
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by izamjazz Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi maggie lovers, just coming out of the woodwork as well. I own a used 1.6 too and it's only starting to sing after hundreds of hours of burn in. Initially thought that I had a bad set but give it patience and lots of placement experiments and ... wow! The vocals are "right there".

Still, I still think I haven't really exploited the maggies. Interestingly I'm powering it with a Sunfire and a AR pre-amp. Don't laugh but my source comes through the Benchmark DAC1 from a Wadia 170. Yes, you guessed it, from an ipod (Apple Lossless of course). Alternatively I'm using a Denon 1940 DVD using its digital output (yes I'm looking for a dedicated transport when the wallet permits Apogee, Magnepan & MartinLogan speakers - discussion thread Icon_biggrin )

Music is basically jazz (all kinds) and vocals. Try Eric Benet's Hurricane CD and your hair behind your neck might just stand up. (A small lampshade, air-con and nice hot coffee at about 11pm can only help). Bass? Clean and extended even sitting 3ft from the back wall. (BR, thanks for the advice ... I'm still learning)

BTW, I was in S'pore over the weekend and sneaked into Absolute and found a 1.6 being displayed. Go get em guys!

Just my 2 sen thoughts ....

izamjazz
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by azri Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:46 am

the apogee acoustics co. is around 100ks from my place,
if you guys feel its cheap to buy from them, let me know
i'll be going back in october/november this year for good so you can kirim through me as i will be booking a container to carry all my stuff.. cheers
azri
azri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Number of posts : 1050
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next